The desert is a polarizing environment. Where one person sees a desolate, dangerous, barren wasteland, another sees something else entirely –– a peaceful, mysterious, and natural landscape of quiet serenity. If you’re one of the latter, you’re in good company. You just might love our guide to RV camping near White Sands National Park in New Mexico!
This New Mexico gem is home to one of the most stunning natural landscapes in all of the U.S., an expanse of gypsum crystal dunes as white as snow, unlike any desert you’ve likely been to.
White Sands National Park Facts
Before you head out, learn what’s in store with these White Sands National Park facts!
- White Sands is a huge New Mexico national park named for its white sand dunes made of gypsum crystals.
- This gypsum field is the largest of its kind in the world.
- The park offers a massive 145,762 acres to explore.
- The sands were once the site of lush plant life, lakes, and animals 12,000 years ago. After the ice age, rising temperatures dried out the land to its current state.
- Thousands of animal species still inhabit the park today, and 45 of those are exclusive to White Sands.
- White Sands Missile Range surrounds the park and is occasionally still used for missile testing.
Best White Sands National Park RV Parks and Campgrounds
Unless you plan on backcountry camping, your options are limited to private RV campgrounds near White Sands National Park. So, we’ve put together this handy list. Spend less time planning and more time enjoying the great outdoors at any of these best RV parks and campgrounds nearby.
Hacienda RV Resort
Amenities: Hacienda RV Resort tops our list thanks to its idyllic location, healthy amenities list, and clean, homey facilities. You’ll get full hookups at all of its 113 sites and plenty of room for big rigs. A community hot tub awaits if you’d like a soak. And showers and laundry rooms are nearby to stay fresh. The large clubroom and quaint shop are done-up like your grandma’s living room in the best way possible, making this a scenic and cozy stay for just about anybody.
Capacity: 113 RV sites
More Information: Hacienda RV Resort
Las Cruces Elk Lodge
Amenities: For an affordable, no-fuss stay, check out Las Cruces Elk Lodge. The lodge itself is a bigger community center, but they’ve also got 10 RV sites for campers. The lodge check-in experience is incredibly relaxed as campers are instructed just to walk in and talk to the bartender to get set up. Still, we recommend calling in advance to secure your spot. Restrooms, showers, and picnic tables are on-site, but there is not much else.
Capacity: 10 RV sites (6 full hookups, 4 primitives)
More Information: Las Cruces Elk Lodge
Las Cruces KOA Journey
Amenities: For the most family-friendly option, head to Las Cruces KOA Journey. The grounds are situated just a mile off of I-10, giving you a stunning view of the Las Cruces mountain range. The camp is well-lit at night and loaded with fire pits and patio sites for family cookouts. Showers, full hookups everywhere, and laundry rooms round out the amenities list for one comfy stay.
Capacity: 82 RV sites
More Information: Las Cruces KOA Journey
Things To Do in White Sands National Park
Get the fun started with these amazing activity options in White Sands National Park!
- Drive the Dunes Drive. Get the lay of the land before venturing out on your own on this 8-mile drive straight to the heart of the gypsum sands. Keep an eye out for exhibits, cultural points, and scenic overlooks along the way. Trust us, you’ll want to stop and admire the sights, so plan for a slow ride.
- Go hiking. Once you’ve got a sense of the vastness of this unique ecosystem, it’s time to hit one of five trails. No matter which you choose, you’re guaranteed to experience ecological marvels and a healthy dose of healing solitude.
- Go sledding. You read that right. The gypsum sands look and feel remarkably like snow. So pack a simple sled to enjoy the most unique slopes you’re bound to ever ride.
- Backcountry camping. There are 10 primitive sites available in the park. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, they make the perfect spot for an unforgettable night amongst the nocturnal desert wildlife under the stars. Be smart and plan accordingly, bringing plenty of spare water.
Get an RV Rental for White Sands National Park
That just about wraps up our guide to this New Mexico gem. And if you’re looking for the most convenient and comfortable way to get there, check out Cruise America’s RV rentals! Suitable for RV newbies and road warriors alike, our fleet of vehicles is loaded with all the comforts of home and ready to roam.
Learn more about our lineup and reserve your own RV rental with Cruise America today. Your desert adventure awaits!