The Florida Keys, a string of approximately 1,700 islands and keys connected by 42 bridges on the Overseas Highway, are a world-renowned destination. People come to the Keys for scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing
, and the relaxed pace of life.
One place in the Keys that truly shines is Bahia Honda, home of spectacular Bahia Honda State Park
. Fifty minutes from Key West, the park is a hub for nature lovers and outdoor recreation. It’s exceptionally unique because it has the only natural sand beaches in all of the Keys, situated on both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.
The park has many campsites both inside and nearby, making a Bahia Honda State Park RV rental
one of the best ways to enjoy it. Keep reading to learn more about RV camping in Bahia Honda State Park!
Bahia Honda State Park Facts
There’s much more to this park than crystal-clear seas and white sand beaches, as these Bahia Honda State Park facts prove.
- Bahia Honda means "deep bay” in Spanish.
- Bahia Honda State Park is open from 8 AM until sundown, 365 days a year.
- Private landowners owned parts of the park until 1984.
- The colorful U-shaped reef at the park’s Looe Key Marine Sanctuary is home to over 150 fish species and 50 species of coral.
- The old Bahia Honda Railway Bridge opened in 1912, originally part of the East Coast Railway that connected the Keys to the mainland. A new bridge has since been built, but the original one still stands. Unsafe sections have been removed for the safety of both people and boats.
Best Bahia Honda State Park RV Parks and Campgrounds
Whether you’re looking for a premium waterfront campground or a quiet site where you can simply take in the stunning Florida Keys sunsets, Bahia Honda State Park RV camping offers something for everyone.
Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina
Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina is one of the most amenities-packed RV parks near Bahia Honda State Park. It’s on Ohio Key adjacent to Bahia Honda Key and offers guests access to the beach, ocean, and fishing right from the park.
All sites in Sunshine Key RV Resort have full hookups. There’s also a large marina on site, and Keys Boat Tours operates here, offering fishing charters and snorkeling tours, plus kayak, SUP, and bicycle rentals. Visitors can also take advantage of tennis, pickleball, volleyball courts, a pool, a gas station, and a grocery store.
More information: Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina
Grassy Key RV Park & Resort
Located on Marathon, 20–25 minutes from Bahia Honda Key, Grassy Key RV Park & Resort offers upscale RV camping near Bahia Honda State Park. The 36-site resort features full hookups and is situated right on the Gulf of Mexico, which means everyone is practically waterfront! Get some of the best sunset views anywhere in the country without even leaving your campsite!
Guests have access to a boat dock, paddleboard and kayak launch, and fish-cleaning station. Grassy Key also has a sparkling pool, calm white sand beaches perfect for lounging, laundry facilities, and a clubhouse with planned activities.
More information: Grassy Key RV Park & Resort
Coconut Cay RV Resort
Looking for the newest RV parks near Bahia Honda State Park, with top-notch amenities? Coconut Cay RV Resort may be perfect for you! The resort, built in 2020, is exactly halfway between Key Largo and Key West on Marathon.
The small, family-operated RV resort offers full hookup sites and a unique layout where every guest has a neighbor on one side only. There’s a boat launch and dockage for up to 12 boats, a pool, beach volleyball, and a private beach with unbeatable sunset views over the Gulf. Coconut Cay is also pet-friendly, and guests can rent kayaks and bicycles on site.
More information: Coconut Cay RV Resort
Lazy Lakes RV Resort
If you’re an outdoor lover who craves a relaxed, slower pace of life, check out pet-friendly Lazy Lakes RV Resort! Located on a 7-acre saltwater lake on Sugarloaf Key, Lazy Lakes RV Resort allows you to enjoy proximity to Bahia Honda State Park RV camping while also being just 15 minutes away from all the excitement in Key West.
Make some memories and get away from it all with walks around the lake, lounging by the heated pool, playing horseshoes or pool, or fishing from the dock. If you want to venture into Key West, guests can even book a bus trip and not have to worry about parking!
More information: Lazy Lakes RV Resort
Jolly Roger RV Resort
The Jolly Roger in Marathon is centrally-located to everything in the Keys, but it has so many on-site amenities that you may never want to venture out of the resort! Take your boat out, fish, dive, or snorkel without even leaving — the boat dock and coral-bottom seawall provide ample opportunities.
On land, enjoy full-hookup sites, a heated pool, horseshoe pits, 24-hour laundry and shower facilities, and a large shaded Bark Park for dogs. The sites at Jolly Roger are also shaded and grassy, a rarity among Bahia Honda State Park RV sites.
More information: Jolly Roger RV Resort
Best Time to Visit Bahia Honda State Park for RV Camping
It’s almost a trick question to ask yourself what’s the best time to visit Bahia Honda State Park with its pleasant weather and near-perpetual sunshine. However, there are some seasonal considerations to keep in mind when planning your trip.
Winter months are the most crowded in Bahia Honda State Park. The island sees very little rain (an average of four days or less from December through February), and the temperatures hardly fluctuate, ranging from the mid-60s to the mid-70s. This ideal climate attracts visitors from all over the world seeking respite from colder, wetter regions.
Late April to early June, after most spring breaks
and before the hurricane season starts, is perhaps the best time to visit Bahia Honda State Park in terms of crowds. March and April also see very little rainfall. High daily temperatures sit right 80 degrees Fahrenheit, with overnight lows hovering near 70.
The summer is a wonderful time to visit Bahia Honda State Park, but you’ll need to be prepared weather-wise. Hurricane season officially starts in June, which means rain and storms often happen without much warning. Temperatures frequently reach the 90s, and the Keys are extremely humid during the summer. However, crowds are fewer than winter and spring, and if you’re diligent about sun protection, you’ll enjoy a lovely Keys vacation!
During the fall, temperatures remain in the mid-70s to high 80s. The ocean is also a pleasant temperature for swimming. However, September and October are the rainiest months in Bahia Honda State Park, and hurricanes aren’t at all uncommon. To avoid both crowds and the danger of hurricanes, consider visiting in mid to late November.
Things to Do in Bahia Honda State Park
Boasting an abundance of stunning natural landscapes and diverse marine and wildlife, the best things to do in Bahia Honda State Park revolves around The Great Outdoors.
- Snorkeling. Thanks to its crystal-clear waters and exceptionally colorful reef, Bahia Honda State Park is well-known for its snorkeling. Take a tour to Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary and rent snorkel masks and fins from a concession stand inside the park. Even if you can’t make the tour, there’s excellent snorkeling from the shore!
- Fishing. It’s no secret that the Florida Keys as a whole is a major fishing destination. In Bahia Honda State Park, anglers can catch large tarpon, tiger sharks, yellowtail snapper, bonefish, and more. Be sure to follow all Florida Wildlife Commission regulations.
- Sand and Sea Nature Center. Visit the park’s nature center to learn about its unique plant, animal, and marine life.
- Stargaze. Stargazing is one of the best camping activities for all ages. Bahia Honda is the darkest section in all of the Florida Keys, and the Milky Way is often visible! The best viewpoints are on the south side of the island.
- Hiking. You may not associate the Florida Keys with hiking, but it’s actually one of the best activities in the park! The nature trail near Calusa Beach takes you to the top of the 100-plus-year-old Old Bahia Honda Railway Bridge, where you’ll enjoy views of the entire island.
Tips on Visiting Bahia Honda State Park
Before you pack up your rig and head south, there are a few things you should know to make your time at Bahia Honda State Park RV parks even more enjoyable.
- Pack water shoes! The coastline and seafloor here are rocky with a great deal of debris. This is excellent for snorkeling, but you’ll find it easier to get around with water shoes.
- Of the park’s two beaches, Calusa and Sandspur, Sandspur faces the Atlantic Ocean while Calusa faces the Gulf. Calusa is the calmer beach and therefore slightly better for swimming.
- Fish from the Old Bahia Honda Bridge to catch grouper or snapper, and try the shallower sand flats for barracuda, bonefish, or try fly-fishing.
- Visitors aren’t allowed to spearfish or catch tropical fish.
- Inside park boundaries, pets are allowed in Bahia Honda State Park RV campgrounds, but not on any beaches or in buildings.
RV Rental for Bahia Honda State Park
Abundant opportunities for exploration and adventure await you in the Florida Keys, and RV camping in Bahia Honda State Park is the best way to do it! Enjoy the beach and some of the best sunsets in the country from the comfort of a Cruise America Bahia Honda State Park RV rental
. Contact us today to learn more about our RV models and which one is perfect for your Bahia Honda State Park RV trip. Enjoy the Keys!