Once you become familiar with the many benefits of RV travel, purchasing your own RV becomes pretty appealing. Not only can you vacation your way when you own an RV, but you can save money while you do!
During your RV hunt, the most important question you’ll ask yourself is this: should I buy a new or used RV?
In the end, you’ll want to find the best bang for your buck. Whether or not that ends up being a new or used RV depends on you. Buying a used RV offers many advantages as does buying a new RV.
At Cruise America, we believe in providing our customers with quality and value. That’s why we’ve put together this guide for buying a new or used RV.
Should I Buy a New or Used RV? What To Know
So, you’re considering buying a new RV, but you don’t know the pros and cons compared to buying a used RV. You’re in the right place. We are going to break down the benefits and drawbacks of buying a new vs. used RV.
Pros of Buying a New vs. Used RV
- It’s in pristine condition. The major draw of buying a new RV is pretty simple: it’s new! Everything looks new because it hasn’t been used before.
- It comes with a warranty. Most new RVs come with a warranty when you buy them from a dealership. While these warranties vary from one manufacturer to another, they typically protect your RV investment. Generally, a manufacturer’s warranty will remain valid for a set period of time or once certain conditions are met after your purchase. For example, you might receive a 1-year/15,000 mile warranty. This would mean that your warranty is valid for up to a year or until you reach 15,000 miles.
- You can get a custom RV. Some manufacturers offer the option to purchase a customized new RV. This allows you to get all of the features you are looking for.
Next, let’s look at the cons of buying a new RV for travelers.
Cons of Buying a New vs. Used RV
- It has a higher price tag. The biggest drawback to buying a new RV is cost. Understandably, a new RV is going to cost more than a used RV. The question is, will that difference in cost be worth it? To understand if the cost is worth it, you’ll want to look at the value of buying a new or used RV.
- It depreciates immediately. The moment you drive your new RV off of the dealership lot, its value begins to depreciate. Over time, the value of a new RV depreciates faster than the value of a used RV. This depreciation is similar to how a new car will rapidly depreciate compared to a used car. A new vehicle’s value goes down over time as you use it. The same can be said about a new RV.
- Insurance costs are high. Another cost to worry about when buying a new RV is insurance. It can cost more to cover a new RV compared to insuring used RVs.
Now, we will discuss the pros and cons of buying a used RV instead of a brand new one off the lot.
Pros of Buying a Used vs. New RV
- It costs less. The price of a high-quality used RV will be significantly less than buying a new RV. This allows you to save money and use it for other purposes while still obtaining a quality RV.
- You have the opportunity to renovate. Some people have the itch to DIY and renovate their used RVs. If you wanted to, you could transform your used RV into the RV of your dreams.
- You save money on depreciation. New RVs depreciate very quickly, whereas used RVs don't depreciate as fast.
- It has cheaper insurance. Used RVs typically have much cheaper insurance options than brand-new vehicles.
Cons of Buying a Used vs. New RV
- It typically has no warranty. Generally speaking, you won’t be able to get a warranty when buying a used RV. This means if something breaks down, you will be responsible for fixing it if you want to continue using your RV.
- It can be harder to find parts. Depending on the make and model of used RV you buy, finding replacement parts can be a challenge, especially if the manufacturer is no longer in business.
Which Choice is More Cost-Effective?
So, the answer to if you should buy a new or used RV is this: the most cost-effective route is buying a used RV. Before you pick out your RV, though, there are some things you should keep in mind before buying.
What To Look for When Buying a Used RV from Cruise America
There are a few points you should keep in mind whenever you consider buying a used RV. The main factors to consider when buying a used RV are quality and value.
Thankfully, Cruise America offers customers both along with a no-nonsense buying experience. Each of Cruise America’s Class C motorhomes is custom built to the company’s rigorous standards. This is to ensure that each RV performs beyond your expectations when you’re behind the wheel.
Additionally, Cruise offers a unique Rent-to-Buy opportunity! With Cruise America, you can try out an RV before you buy it. After renting an RV from Cruise, you have up to six months from the return date on your rental to make a purchase.
Cruise America is thorough when it comes to its used RVs. Additionally, Cruise America completely refurbishes each RV before selling it. This step ensures that each RV meets Cruise’s quality and safety standards.
In the end, buying a used RV from Cruise America gets you an RV that’ll perform just like new. As a bonus, you won’t have to worry about the steep costs of actually buying a new RV!
Ready to make the best purchase of your life? Contact Cruise America today at 1 (800) 671-9042 to learn more about buying a used RV today!