When it comes to outdoor adventures in Indiana, visitors can expect just about everything they need for a scenic trip. From beautiful lakeshores to forested lands, the Hoosier State is a sight to behold. If you’re ready to make your mark on another destination, then consider embarking on a Versailles State Park RV camping trip.
Located along the rolling hills of southeastern Indiana, Versailles State Park is a historical, natural wonder marked by a cultural history dating back to the Great Depression and the Civil War. For the best RV camping experience, continue reading this guide as we’ll cover Versailles State Park facts, the best RV parks near Versailles State Park, and more!
Versailles State Park Facts
Before setting out on a Versailles State Park RV camping adventure, learn more about Indiana’s second-largest state park with these Versailles State Park facts.
- During the Civil War, the area surrounding the park was controlled by the Confederate army before the Union took it back.
- As part of the New Deal program, Civilian Conservation Corps members built much of the park’s structures, including the Oak Grove Shelter.
- The park is home to the only Civilian Conservation Corps statue in Indiana.
- Historical markers are placed around the park, which marks the same path Confederate General John Morgan took on his journey.
- Some of the park’s campgrounds are available on a first-come, first-serve basis during the off-season.
- The park has 16 miles of mountain biking trails, with varying treads and difficulty levels.
Now that you’re familiar with some of the park’s unique facts, it is time to discuss RV parks near Versailles State Park.
Best Versailles State Park RV Parks and Campgrounds
With an RV rental, Versailles State Park is an adventurous experience for those seeking a new destination. Take a look below for some of the best RV parks near Versailles State Park.
Follow The River RV Resort
Amenities: As far as essentials go, Follow The River RV Resort offers just about everything you need in a standard campground. Visitors can stop at several attractions, including Kentucky Speedway, Riverboat Casinos, and the Ohio River. While the park’s location is approximately 40 minutes away from Versailles State Park, you receive luxuries in the form of a camp store, a heated saltwater pool, a walking trail, and free Wi-Fi. Keep in mind that RV vehicles must be parked on hard surfaces only!
Capacity: 160 RV sites
More Information: Follow The River RV Resort
Wheelock Lake Campground
Amenities: The first thing to note about Wheelock Lake Campground is that some of its acres are groomed for ATVs. Secondly, the park prides itself on its “family-friendly” recreational status, which makes it a prime campground for you and your kids. Spend some time exploring the wooded area on 30 acres of groomed trails. Better yet, rent a kayak and have some summer fun on the lake. Don’t worry about your RV since the campsites come equipped with 30/50 amp hookups.
Capacity: 208 RV sites
More Information: Wheelock Lake Campground
Little Farm RV Resort
Amenities: Described as a “heartland haven,” Little Farm RV Resort truly lives up to its fun-filled camping atmosphere. On top of its convenient location along the western shores of the Ohio River, this resort offers fully furnished cabins, golf cart rentals, two playgrounds, themed weekends, and seasonal fall events to celebrate Halloween. Best of all, the resort is open year-round. So you can plan your Versailles State Park RV camping trip any time of year. Talk about a marvelous overnight experience!
Capacity: 186 RV sites
More Information: Little Farm RV Resort
Rising Star Casino Resort RV Park
Amenities: Don’t let the term “casino” discourage you from spending a couple of nights at Rising Star Casino Resort. The sites at this campground are well-maintained, situated on paved streets, and well-spaced out. As far as amenities, the park is pet-friendly and offers a swimming pool for registered guests. Finally, visitors have access to both back-in and pull-through sites. Keep in mind that the park is located across the street from the casino and hotel, so make sure you call to make a reservation.
Capacity: 56 RV sites
More Information: Rising Star Casino Resort RV Park
Amenities: To finish off a list of the best RV parks near Versailles State Park, we present you with a quality option down in Aurora. Situated two miles from Rising Star Casino, Campshore Campground offers boat ramps, a sand volleyball court, shaded lots, and a water slide, just to name a few features. If you don’t plan on bringing an RV, bring your tent and reserve a spot at one of their flat grassy sites.
Capacity: 70 RV sites
More Information: Campshore Campground
Best Time To Visit Versailles State Park for RV Camping
Just like any other outdoor getaway, you want to consider your options regarding the best time to visit Versailles State Park. Continue reading to learn more about what you can expect on your visit for each season.
The first thing you should consider about visiting during the winter season is that you’ll certainly deal with freezing temperatures. Expect anywhere between 23 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit. This, coupled with strong winds and occasional snowstorms, makes for a challenging first visit. On the bright side, visitation rates are low, so if you’re concerned about finding a campsite, then this would be the best time to visit Versailles State Park.
As the snow melts and the temperatures rise, visitors should expect noticeable and pleasant changes in Indiana. Even though the temperature rises steadily in March (40 to 58 degrees), expect sudden cold waves coupled with occasional thunderstorms. Fortunately, from April to May, Indiana experiences an average of 7-8 hours of sunshine, allowing you to enjoy water recreation sports at the park, such as boating, fishing, and hiking.
By June, Indiana visitors must remain alert to major weather disruptions in the state. Thunderstorms become more common, humidity levels go up, and the heat becomes more oppressive between July and August. That said, summertime is prime time for fishing, kayaking, and boating. It’s also the peak season for reservations, so make sure you reserve any Versailles State Park RV campgrounds during this season.
Fall is a great time for RV camping in Versailles State Park. Storms diminish, the skies remain clear, and many Indiana parks begin to showcase beautiful fall colors. In October, average high temperatures hover between 61 and 70 degrees. It’s safe to say that with an RV rental, Versailles State Park is a sight to behold in the fall. Feel free to explore some colorful scenery by hiking or mountain biking on the trails.
Things To Do In Versailles State Park
Versailles State Park has just about everything to satisfy your thirst for adventure. Here are some of the best things to do in Versailles State Park.
- Mountain Biking. With 16 miles of biking trails of varying difficulty levels, mountain biking is a popular form of entertainment at this park. Bikers of all skill levels are welcome. Watch out for hikers since they are also allowed on bike trails.
- Hiking. Enjoy Versailles State Park and its natural beauty by exploring up to 8 miles of hiking trails. For something with a bit of scenery, try the Shadow Run Loop Trail, which takes you through the forest with little elevation change.
- Horseback Riding. Horse lovers will be delighted to know that up to 25 miles of trails are suitable for horseback riding. On top of that, the park offers an equestrian day-use area.
- Swimming. Whether you’re in the mood for something subtle or enjoyable in the water, Versailles State Park has two perfect options for swimming: a 25-meter swimming pool and a 100-foot water slide. It’s one of the best things to do in Versailles State Park.
- Fishing. Unsurprisingly, Versailles State Park is teeming with underwater wildlife. Some of the most spotted fishes at the lake include the bass, bluegill, and catfish. Whether you decide to bring your canoe or rent one at the park, remember to obtain an Indiana fishing license.
Tips for Visiting Versailles State Park
Before heading out for your first adventure, keep in mind the following tips.
- Some of the roads around the campgrounds may be difficult to maneuver if you have a big rig.
- The campsites at Campground B are only available for reservations between May and October.
- The park’s first-come, first-serve campgrounds tend to fill up quickly during the summer.
- Do not feed any wildlife you encounter in the park.
- Pool hours may change during the summer, so make sure you contact the park’s property office for the latest hour updates.
RV Rental for Versailles State Park
At this point, all that’s left to figure out is what kind of RV you will need for your Versailles State Park RV camping trip. With a Cruise America RV rental, Versailles State Park will become the experience of a lifetime!
Their wide selection of RV rentals vehicles come equipped with home-like amenities and features designed to help you take the comfort of home on the road.
Contact Cruise America and get going on your bucket list adventure!